Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jamz.

Hello and Thank you all for joining us for our second week on the road (or just our second week in Ethel K. but whateva.). It is my honor to introduce this week's topic: the sweet jamz of today. I must tell you however, it would be impossible to cover sweet jamz in just one blog entry, so today's blog is part 1 in numerous entries to come. I also must confess that I am a newbie in the world of 'really cool' music. I mean I feel that I have a good taste in is what is good, I have just always listened to the familiar...until...Sarah Briggs. In more than one way has she certainly opened my eyes, but I must say music is definitely the area she has broadened my horizons the greatest. A few musical talents that I now appreciate because of Sarah are: Okkervil River, Bon Iver, Wolf Parade, The Everybodyfields, and so many more. Sarah Briggs however, is not the only one I contribute my new found appreciation for sweet jamz, I must commend Brandon Berg also for his infinite wisdom is this precious area. Brandon has inspired me through music in ways I am not sure he knows. In other words, I am thankful to have such a friend. Because of Brandon I now have a great appreciation for John Mark McMillian and Radiohead.
Furthermore, today's blog will consist of the same format as last week's--Q&A format, but with a twist! Brandon Berg will be guest blogging with Sarah. I will ask the questions and then Both of then will individually respond. Thank you again for your time and dedication to our blog. We are overwhelmed with thanksgiving for all of our followers.

Here We GO!

Chelsea: What kind of influence does music play in you life?
Sarah: Apart from swimming in the lives of music majors (who are all dear to my heart) that I cohabitate with, I'd say music is close to being like oxygen to me. Music is what I hear. It's how I think a lot of the time. It's how I worship. I listen to good music. I'm very picky, I only take suggestions on singers/bands from people who's music collection I know and respect. I have about four people who's suggestions for music I sincerely appreciate.
Brandon: it drove me to being a music major. and to play music for churches on sundays.

Chelsea: In your infinite wisdom, who/what are the top three musical artists I (and our readers) should be listening to right now?
Sarah:
-Fleet Foxes: Okay. I know. I said I wasn't going to put them on this thing, and I'll put them first to get them out of the way. A lot of people I know who listen to good music either love or hate these guys. And I'm going to be completely honest and say that I hadn't given them much thought until I saw their perfomance on SNL a few weeks ago. Robin Pecknold and his band of roughians totally bought their tickets to the Indie Express Train, like so many others, and journeyed deep into the middle of nowhere to record albums. Maybe this is the approach every band should take. Excluding yourself from society proves the dedication and talent these dudes have for their music. Their alblum "Fleet Foxes" was on every best of 2008 list I read. And their harmonies are killer. So get the album. It's on Sub Pop, and anybody who's anybody is on Sub Pop. And let's start a collection fund to by Robin Pecknold some longer pants.
watch this:
http://www.blogotheque.net/Fleet-Foxes,4521
-The Arcade Fire: First, watch this first: http://www.blogotheque.net/Arcade-Fire,2867
If you didn't fall in love after watching this video you can turn Katie Perry back on and discontinue reading and I don't want to be your friend anymore. This band is in my top five forever and ever now. I've only been all over their junk for two years now, but it seems like a lifetime. There are so many people in this band. They all play any and every musical instrument you can imagine. They yell and they scream and they don't give a shit about what it sounds like, so long as they like it. They had an organ on stage when I saw them live. AN ORGAN. I thought organs were only for my Southern Baptist church and lame people, but I was wrong. They're in the midst of writing (possibly recording?) some demos for a new album. So go buy Funeral, because it is one of the greatest albums of our time. Then buy Neon Bible. And they just released a documentary directed by the indredibly gifted Vincent (Moon) Morisset, which I'm going to buy soon so we can all just watch it together.
-John Mark McMillan: I completely blame Brandon for this obsession I have developed for JM, since Brandon is the one to give me "The Medicine" in the first place. I took JM to the next level, though, when I gave the cd to my sister. We listened it together while driving around one of God's greatest creations, the Blue Ridge Mountains, and it was during this day we each truly realized how big God is. This cd is all we jam to now. JM went to an even further level with me when I realized I could associate him with my mother and her friends who are recipents of lung transplants. The song "Skeleton Bones" has a line that made me tear up after hearing it, "We want your blood to flow inside our bodies/We want your wind inside our lungs/ We just want to love you/We just want to love you." So of course, I burned (or burnt?) a mix cd for my mom and her lung transplant support group. I think they loved it. I don't even know how many copies of "The Medicine" I've given out. I carry around copies in my car to give to anyone I meet, which reminds me I need to burn some more since I'm all out. (Also, JM's wife, Sarah McMillan is pretty cool too. They sing about rolling stones a lot.) watch this:
Brandon: in my opinion, Fleet Foxes has a cool thing going. they are another one of those bands that crawled out of a big tree in the appalachians or big sur or somewhere. but they have really good and simple and catchy vocals. i guess its kind of aqcuired. but it gets better as you listen. i also bought John Mark McMillans new album a few months ago, and listened to it a lot but i can still listen to it. alot. and Bruce Springsteen because rolling stone said so.

Chelsea: Who would you choose to sing you to sleep every night?
Sarah: Is this even a question? Brandon Berg. Maybe Gregg Gillis. But Taylor Hanson most of all.
Brandon: Zooey Deschanel. or Sarah Poindexder. dont tell taylor.

Chelsea: If you could be a part of any band, what band would it be?
Sarah: A real, legit band with all my friends. I have several people in my mind that I know would be awesome together. Singin' about God and life.
Brandon: The one i put together. Ready? The drummer from Mewithoutyou, Johnny Greenwood from radiohead and the guitar player from minus the bear too, and someone from sigur ros. maybe the keyboard player. anddd the bass bass player from radiohead. Johnny greenwoods brother. i forgot his name. so basically i want to be in radiohead. cause id probably pick thom yorke to sing. or scott stapp.

Chelsea: Who/what was the best show you have ever been to?
Sarah: Loney, Dear/Of Montreal, March 2007.
Brandon: i havent seen a lot. but coldplay was pretty good. i guess that is expected. and The Shins was a close second. Radiohead was okay

Chelsea: If you could choose one song to describe your life right now, what would it be?
Sarah: "He Waters My Soul" - Sarah McMillan.
Brandon: Roll to Me - Del Amitri.

Thank you Sarah and Brandon for sharing such wisdom, honesty, and just plain 'coolness' with me and our faithful followers. You both are extraordinary people that I am encouraged by daily and thankful for the friendship we have been given.

As we conclude, my fellow reader, I encourage you this week to listen to some of these sweet jamz listed above. I know personally, I have grown through the music that has been placed before me. Music is a powerful instrument...so make a joyful noise my friends.

Love and Peace.
-FinerThingz.

1 comment:

  1. crap my answers are so long compared to brandon's. but i would pay money to see a radiohead/scott stapp project. i wish i could give kudos on here.

    ReplyDelete