Monday, January 19, 2009

Film-Today.

Since the start of our friendship Sarah has introduced me to films I would not have necessarily picked first-hand and the same is with music (but that is a whole other blog). I am greatly appreciative of her taste for the arts and I have grown certainly through her fine suggestions. Since our return to school this semester, we have seen two tremendous films at an awesome Fine Arts Theatre in Charlotte: Revolutionary Road and Milk. The following are simple questions I have prepared for Sarah to answer uncandidly about her take on these two films along with her response to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (I have not yet seen this film so I have no question to ask at this time). Therefore, in essence, I will ask the questions, Sarah will answer, and then, if appropriate, I will comment on her responses. Thank you for tuning in this week, we are thankful for your attention.

Here we GO!

Revolutionary Road:
Chelsea: What is one word that you would use to describe this movie?
Sarah: Bleak. Completely.

Chelsea: Which character in this movie do you most relate with?
Sarah: I know without a doubt in my mind I relate to April Wheeler, who is portrayed flawlessly by actress Kate Winslet. The entire time while viewing the film, and since then actually, I've constantly been battling myself and trying to figure out how not to end up in the same boat as April. I have reached a stage in my life where I have realized that my decisions now are really going to affect me the rest of my life. By being so careful about critically analyzing every possible outcome of every area of my life, I've become careless to the fact that life is happening now, it's present, it's in the moment. And it's really happening. April was stuck in a life she never dreamed of. I hope I take more chances than April Wheeler.

Milk:
Chelsea: Why did you want to see this movie?
Sarah: Being from Asheville, I have several good friends who are homosexual, so the main reason I wanted to see this film is to understand more about the emotional and political history of this "group" of people. Harvey Milk was a revolutionary man, who deserves to be ranked with Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, JR, and Susan B. Anthony and the many others who have fought for their own civil rights.

Chelsea: What did you take away from it?
Sarah: This film just caused my general love for the human race to grow. Compassionate people made in God's image come in all shapes, colors, creed, and gender preference. The Bible commands me to "love my neighbor" regardless of any differences, and it is my faith that compels me to genuinely love and care for people. Milk just reaffirmed this for me.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button:
Sarah: First of all, this film is completely different from the short story written by F. Scott Fitzgerald. But this might be a rare instance that I like the film version more than the original material. Much like Milk, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is about a man's struggle with a life that is completely opposite of the "norm". No one can be certain of that sort of life they will be dealt, but it is up to them to make the most of it, which is what Ben Button accomplishes. He tours himself all over the world, meeting lovers and lifelong comrades, and he also finds love in it's purest form, and has to make the difficult decision of walking away from that certain love. Brad Pitt and Kate Blanchett deserve every award nomination for this film that they receive. Director David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club) has a great eye behind the camera, and does not fail to disappoint his fans with Benjamin Button. Another thing that greatly entertained me about the film was a trailer I saw long before the film was released. The trailer featured the song "My Body Is A Cage" (!) by the Texan/Canadian band The Arcade Fire (a band I hope to further elaborate on soon). This might be the most fitting song for a film since Randy Newman's "You Got A Friend In Me" for the Disney/Pixar film Toy Story.
I currently have a running list of films I need to see that seems to grow with each trip to the theatre. Other than the three above films (which you need to see if you already haven't), I'm currently recommending the two followers of this blog to see: The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire, and Gran Torino. Also the French film I've Loved You So Long, but it isn't released until March.

1 comment:

  1. Hello you all.
    Thank you for your installment this week.
    I was slightly embarassed when a mutual friend of ours made a teasing comment to me last night as we were watching the SAG awards. He observed that I was very "into" what was going on. Whatever he meant by that, I will take as a compliment because I can't get over my fascination with film and the abilties that people have to portray such powerful stories. I'm glad I have friends/bloggers like you both.

    ReplyDelete